Wednesday, June 25, 2008

For the last few years, I've given up television during summertime. I figured that without my trusty TV as my entertainer, I'd have to, you know, actually leave the house or something. (Crazy!)

But this year, I laugh in the face of my "no TV during summer" rule. There is so much great summer fare on the boob tube this year, there's no way I'm giving it up.

Some of my new favorite shows (in no particular order, because I love all TV shows equally):

"30 Days": By director Morgan Spurlock, of "Super Size Me" fame (one of my fave documentaries ever ... and by ever, I mean that's the only one I ever watched), "30 Days" is a reality show (in the best sense of the term) that follows people who spend 30 days (duh) doing something they're not familiar with or, in some cases, are completely opposed to. There have been three episodes so far this season: Spurlock works in a coal mine in Virginia for 30 days, exposing the safety and environmental issues the industry is facing; a pro football players spends 30 days in a wheelchair; a hunter spends 30 days with animal-rights activists. It's so fascinating. And I'm continually amazed that they can get people to do the show. I mean, I wouldn't spend three days, let alone 30, with a GOP family...

"Nashville Star": Duh. You knew this one would make the list. Frankly, though, I've been a bit underwhelmed by this season. The contestants are definitely the weakest yet, and I think they've gone overboard trying to appeal to the "Idol" crowd. The move to NBC has really dumbed down the show. But I'm still gonna watch it, y'all.

"In Plain Sight," "Burn Notice," "Monk," "Psych": I love the USA Network's original shows. You can't take them too seriously, and they're so much fun to watch. And I'm so glad "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is now on USA. If I had to pick one cable channel to watch on a desert island, this'd be it (for the summer, anyway).

"The Closer": Even though you know she's totally going to win in the end, it's the getting there that's interesting. And Jon Tenney is too cute.

"My Boys": Cute show. And it's only 30 minutes long, so it's not like you have to give it a huge commitment or anything ...

"So You Think You Can Dance": Thanks to my sister, who tied me to a chair and forced me to watch last season (ok, not really, but she did ask me nicely), I'm hooked. It's like "Idol," but with talent and heart.

"Bones": Ok, this isn't technically a summer show, but since I haven't watched it during its regular season run, I've been catching it on reruns and I really like it.

Now, I know some of you actually have lives, but if you're looking to get hooked on TV this summer, any of the above shows will treat you right. Take it from me, the tube's biggest boob. (Uh, I don't think that came out right ...)

5 comments:

~grey said...

That 30 days... sounds interesting! I don't believe we get it here.
In fact I haven't heard of most of the shows on your list.

I have been watching... "I survived a Japanese game show" OMG!!! that is soooo funny!

thirthe said...

kisses:-))

Anonymous said...

LOVE so you think you can dance! The 30 days show sounds great. What channel is it on?

Maria Perez said...

Go Josh & Katee!

You can catch "30 Days" on FX. It's sooo good.

Welcome back to the States :-)

Anonymous said...

It's good to be home!