Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Anyone watching "Nashville Star"? If not, you should be. It's what heartless, soulless, media-whore-of-a-show "American Idol" wishes it were.

I know what you're thinking: "Maria, I don't like country music." Well, to that I ask, Do you sit at home and listen to Andrew Lloyd Weber songs? No, but you watched "Idol" that week, didn't ya? And how about Dolly Parton? Do you have all her songs downloaded to your iPod? Didn't think so. But I bet you tuned in that week, too.

Now I love country; if I had one choice of music to listen to, country would be it. So, naturally, I love this show. But you don't have to love country to like the show. Come on, give it a try. I promise you'll like it. At the very least, you'll know what I'm talking about when you read my recaps. In the wise words of Ben Stiller, "Do it. Do it."

Anyway, here's a rundown of this week's show:

Pearl Heart: Think Dixie Chicks 2.0. This trio of adorable sisters took on the Dixie Chicks' "Wide Open Spaces" (natch), and did a fine job. Even though they had the unfortunate lead-off spot, expect them to stay around a few more weeks.

Tommy Stanley: He's got quite a nice voice, but he's not one of my favorites. He'll make it a few more weeks, though; thanks to his Navy job, he's sure to get the patriotic vote.

Shawn Mayer: I don't think this self-proclaimed "redneck woman" is as great as she thinks she is, but I'll admit she has talent. And she might get the Gretchen Wilson vote, though I give her one or two more weeks at the most. There are just too many great performers on the show, and her choice of Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" was a big mistake.

Third Town: I'm just "eh" on this trio. They've got nice voices, I'll give them that. But they chose "Elvira" as their introductory song. Huh? Unless they whip out some Rascal Flatts soon, I don't give them too much longer.

Coffey: This guy is my hands-down favorite. I just love everything about him. He's cute, he's a single dad with an adorable little girl, and he's a snappy dresser (love the studded guitar belt buckle!). Ok, so I don't love that his name is pronounced "coff-ay" rather than like the drink, but hey, I can get over that. Go, Coffey!

Laura & Sophie: This duo is so darn cute! One's 16, one's 18 (I'm not sure which is which), and they are super-talented. I would buy their recording of "Stand By Your Man" in a split second. But Jewel was right -- they need better stage presence. They're young, though, so I'm sure they can work on that.

Gabe Garcia: Love him -- and not just because he's representing Hispanics. He's got one of the most, if not the most, typical country voices there, yet he still managed to make the song sound new. He'll definitely make it to the finals.

Alyson Gilbert: I did not like her at all. Her voice is ok, but, like Jewel said, she does that sort of pageanty way about her. I think she'll be the first to go. Oh well.

Ashlee Hewitt: I didn't expect to like her, but I do. She didn't overdo her singing (on Colbie Caillat's "Bubbly") like some of the others, which might actually do her in. If I've learned nothing from "Idol," I've learned that voters don't like understated -- they want runs, baby, runs. I hope she stays on a few more weeks, at least, but I doubt it.

Justin Gaston: Consider him the Ace Young of the competition. He's cute in a Hollywood model kind of way, but he just doesn't have the vocal chops. I'm sure all the girls in the audience will vote for him, so he'll be fine for another week or so, but at some point, people will have to realize he really can't sing, won't they? Please?

Melissa Lawson: This plus-size powerhouse is Amazing with a capital A. On my list of top three, along with Coffey and Gabe Garcia.

Ultimately, I'd love to see a Gabe-Coffey finale, but it's still early for that, isn't it? I'm sure I'll change my mind 10 times before then. Watch the show (Monday, 9 p.m., on NBC) and find out if you agree with me.

Do it. Do it.

2 comments:

~grey said...

LOL
OK OK OK.... I will watch it this week...
It better be good... or I'm coming back to complain. LOL

oh and love the music selection...
I started laughing when "My Maria" started playing...
good song... even if it is country

Maria Perez said...

Yay! I've already got three other people on board, so that makes a total of four people who will be watching Nashville Star this summer. lol :-)