Sunday, January 06, 2008

There was a time when I'd go to the movie theater once, sometimes twice, a week. I loved everything about it -- watching the movie on a giant screen, getting away from life for a little while, the popcorn ...

But somewhere over the last couple of years, I've really soured on it. People are too loud and annoying. There are usually too many kids. And you have to mortgage your house just to buy the ticket.

So little by little, I stopped going and started renting DVDs instead. I would rent about two or three a week and just sit on the couch with a big bowl of popcorn, a box of Goobers and a bag of Twizzlers (and, of course, a diet soda...)

But then I even stopped that, because that started getting expensive, too, and I was in serious danger of becoming a hermit. And let's face it, as you get older, your attention span isn't quiet what it used to be. What? You want me to watch something for two hours straight?

But thanks to the WGA strike, I've rediscovered my love of movies.

Since the strike (go, writers!), there hasn't really been anything to watch on TV. I could pick up a book, but the Harry Potter series is over and there's just so many James Patterson books a girl can read. So instead of taking the opportunity to expand my cultural horizons (bo-ring), I've been catching up on movies instead.

Until the strike is over -- at which point I'll lock myself in the house for a week straight and make mad, passionate love to my remote control -- I have no choice but to explore the best (and worst) offerings of the silver screen, and I'll share my thoughts on them with you. I'm not an art-house chick, so don't be surprised to see some low-brow flicks on the list. To me, if the movie makes me laugh, cry or hungry, it's done its job.

I shared some reviews with you last week, but I've decided to make it a standard feature with a cool new name, Maria Diarrhea's Moviewatch. I know, I'm brilliant.

So watch out for more reviews, coming soon.

No comments: