Wednesday, December 26, 2007

According to Galaxy Quiz's "How Are You Defined in the Dictionary?" quiz:

Maria
[noun]
A person who enjoys the smell of rotten eggs

How did they know? Ahh, I love the smell of rotten eggs in the morning.

Ugh, actually, I can't stand the smell of rotten eggs (who can?), especially of the movie variety. Like "Sweeney Todd," which I went to see this weekend. (Nice segue, huh?)

I love musicals. I love Johnny Depp -- in my opinion, he's one of the best actors of any generation. And while I don't think much of Helena Bonham Carter (though her Bellatrix Lestrange is way scary), I think she's a fine enough actress. But this movie sucked eggs, and rotten eggs at that.

It wasn't the performances -- they were fine. Or the directing -- Tim Burton can't really do much wrong. Or even the visuals -- the costume director deserves an Oscar for her work. But for some reason, it just didn't come together. I think it was the music. The songs are not exactly the kind you find yourself humming on a Sunday morning while cleaning the dust bunnies from the back of the TV stand. They were, how should I put it, "eh."

I dunno, maybe I'm just one of the masses and don't really get the "art" behind the film. But to me, movies should be enjoyable. If I'm going to spend a gazillion dollars at the movie theater, it's got to be something that entertains me. And this didn't.

What did entertain me was a movie I rented, "The Bourne Ultimatum." I wish I'd seen it in the theater (gazillion dollars notwithstanding), as it definitely is the kind of movie that kicks it on the big screen, but it still translated well to TV. Matt Damon is soooo good, and it's refreshing to watch an intelligent action movie that actually has a message. Oh, and Matt Damon is soooo hot.

I also saw the really good "Eastern Promises" with Viggo Mortensen. This is the one where he has a naked fight scene at a bathhouse. Nuff said.

Oh, and I saw "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix." (I know, I really caught up on my movie-watching this weekend...) It was a really good adaptation, although now that I know how the series ends, there wasn't the sense of urgency as with previous films. Great special effects, though. Voldemort still scares the bejesus out of me. I can't stand Ralph Fiennes, and this did nothing to help his cause with me.

I was told I absolutely have to rent "Superbad," which I plan on doing this weekend. Unless I miraculously get a life.

And that, my friends, is my movie report. I'll follow up soon with stories/pics from the Christmas festivities.

So how are you defined in the dictionary?

5 comments:

~grey said...

you know you shouldn't do that...

You shouldn't mention Viggo and naked in the same post... cuz then all relative thoughts and ideas go out the window and I can't remember a thing about what you wrote... :)

I have seen... none of those movies except Harry Potter. I don't do scary or thriller.

Ok... the name thingy...
I tried the shortened version of my name and got
Deb --
[Noun]:
A real life muppet.
hahahaha
and the longer version of my name
is
Debbie --
[adjective]:
Having the texture of congealed cheese

Maria Perez said...

LOL -- those are both funny. I tried Maria Diarrhea and (no joke) it said "a master blogger." How funny! And believe me, I know EXACTLY what you mean about Viggo. Did you ever see "History of Violence"? HOT!

~grey said...

nope... .never saw that movie either! Sounds to scary for me... LOL

I only saw him in Lord Of the Rings... and Hidago. Sexy and HOT!

hahahahaha
master blogger... too funny!

Maria Perez said...

Oh, I never saw Hidalgo. I heard it was good. History of Violence is not actually very violent, but it's definitely a psychological thriller. I recommend it, if you're in a Viggo mood. :-)

~grey said...

the key word there is thriller... even if Viggo is in it... I am not sure I can watch a thriller. I am to much of a wuss.