Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Maria Diarrhea's Moviewatch:

"The Bucket List": I love Morgan Freeman, but I'm not a big fan of Jack Nicholson. To me, he's a slightly less hammy Al Pacino but a more talented Harrison Ford. It's not that he's not a talented actor -- he is. I think that, just like Ford, he has a knack for picking the same roles over and over, and those roles seem to suit his talents best. He was great in "The Departed," but he was again playing the same role he always seems to play. One notable exception from recent memory was "As Good as it Gets." That was one time I watched him and thought, "man, he was good." Ok, I also really liked "Something's Gotta Give" -- in fact, I loved that movie -- but that was despite the fact he was in it. I love Diane Keaton, and the story really reverberated for me.

But I digress. I really enjoyed "The Bucket List." Yes, it plays on your heartstrings. And yes, it's pretty much contrived, sugary shlock and you know exactly where the plot is going. But it was good, clean fun. I laughed, I cried. And cried. And cried. (I'm such a sucker.) I recommend it, but it's safe to rent it when it comes out on DVD. There's no real need to rush out and see it in the theater.

A movie you should see in a theater, however, is "Cloverfield." I knew very little about it -- just a vague outline of the plot and the fact that J.J. Abrams was involved. I'm glad I didn't know more. It took me by surprise just how much I liked this movie. I won't reveal anything about the plot, because I think it's more fun if you don't know what it's about, but if you've watched Abrams' "Lost," you know it's not all what it seems at first. If you can put up with the movie's first annoying 20 minutes, you'll be pleasantly surprised. I did get a little queasy at the camerawork. I understand why directors use handheld cameras to convey a sense of movement and realism, but dang, it was thisclose to making me sick! I had to close my eyes several times just to get my equilibrium back. All in all, though, it was worth it. "Cloverfield" is an original movie with some great ideas and funny dialogue. And that's all I'm gonna say about that.

Coming soon (or as soon as the powers-that-be release these on DVD): "Michael Clayton," "Reservation Road" and "3:10 to Yuma." I'm open to other suggestions...

2 comments:

~grey said...

I really want to see "The Bucket List". I love Jack Nicolson. Maybe it is because I know what kind of character he is going to play... he is just quirky enough to be likable (for me).
Loved "Somethings Gotta Give" and "As Good as it Gets"...

And there is no way on this Planet... that I will go see "Cloverfield". My son went to see it on the weekend...and told me all about it. Uh... No Thank you! Just the camera bouncing around is enough for me to pass on this movie. Plus I don't do scary or suspenseful. I am a Chicken and proud of it... LOL

Even LOST gets to 'scary' for me sometimes....

LOST starts soon!!!! YAY!

Maria Perez said...

Yeah, it doesn't sound like "Cloverfield" is up your alley. Best to stay away... :-)