Monday, January 28, 2008

Maria Diarrhea's Moviewatch:

I know, I've been watching a lot of movies lately. I'd like to blame it on the writers strike, but it's probably more because I don't have a life. Either way, you win!

"Untraceable": Grey, you definitely don't want to watch this one. Actually, that pretty much goes for everyone else. It's a good concept, as far as semi-scary thrillers go, but the delivery leaves you wanting. It's missing something. I don't know what -- hey, I'm not a filmmaker -- but it could have been really good and instead it's just eh.

"The Last King of Scotland": I've wanted to watch this for a while, but it was one of those movies that always seemed to be pushed down on the list whenever a new one came out. I'm glad I finally saw it, but it was disturbing, more so because it's true. Idi Amin was one sick, crazy dude, and I can see why Forest Whitaker won the Oscar. But for me, James McAvoy made the movie. He was absolutely amazing and really made you understand how an "innocent" person could buy into Amin's story and charm, and nearly become just like him. Two thumbs up. (Yes, even the bad thumb.)

"Superman Returns": Yes, I know I'm a couple of years behind, but this is another one of those movies that got put off and off. It wasn't half bad. I couldn't really see Brandon Routh in the role until I saw the movie, then realized he was perfect in the role. I think he did Superman proud. But I still can't get over the whole Clark-Kent-in-glasses thing -- you know, that they can't tell it's Superman because he's got glasses on. Or that he can just rip off his clothes and he's got his Superman outfit, complete with a cape, underneath. Or that no one questions why Clark seems to be gone every single time Superman's there. I know, I've got to let it go, but it's a big reason why I was never into the whole Superman thing. Like my sister said, if he'd just wear the Zorro mask, it'd be fine. Still, the movie was ok.

"We Are Marshall": I'm not a football fan, but for some reason I love football movies, and this was a really good one. Based on the true story of a Texas town that lost its entire college football team in a plane accident in the early '70s, it's a typical sports story -- team struggles, team comes back from diversity, team and town learn life lesson -- but the fact that it's based on a true story makes it much more poignant. I'm also not a huge fan of Matthew McConaughey, but he's pretty good here. Now Matthew Fox -- wowza. Not only is he a total fox, but dude can really act. He made the movie for me. And yes, I cried. What of it?

Speaking of football, the Super Bowl is this Sunday. You know what that means -- commercials! I'll have my annual report of my faves shortly thereafter. I know, you're excited now, aren't you?

4 comments:

Neetsbeat said...

I really enjoyed We Are Marshall (in fact, is was on HBO last night and I watched a few mins of it), but I have to say I was distracted by Matthew McC's little affectation of talking with his mouth twisted to the side. I dont know if that was something the original coach used to do and Matthew was copying it or whether he just decided to adopt the affect as his "thing." Anyway. Weird. But I agree Matthew Fox was awesome.

I also thought Superman Returns is just OK.

Maria Perez said...

Oh yes, that annoyed me too! I figured the real guy did that and it's what Matthew did to get into character... :-)

~grey said...

when ever I see a superman movie.... I always wonder ... "What would happen if Clark Kent forgot to put his superman outfit on, under his clothes..." comeon... it could happen. It would be funny....

*birds chirping*

ok moving right along now.. LOL

haven't seen any of the movies you have reviewed. I have been wanting to see We are Marshall. Absolutely love Matthew Fox.

LOST starts tomorrow.... WoooHooo

Maria Perez said...

I stopped watching Lost in the middle of last season. It just had gotten so pointless. But of course, as always happens with me, as soon as I stop watching it, it starts getting better. Oh well. I'll probably catch up with it on DVD. Or not. You should watch We Are Marshall, though. Very good movie. :-)