Tuesday, May 06, 2008

You may have noticed a new link to the right, Bayonne Baysider. It's a new Web site covering my hometown, and I'll be writing for them on a regular basis. In addition to general entertainment and lifestyle news, I'll also write a semi-regular food column, profiling area restaurants, food events, recipes, etc. I'm sure it won't win any Pulitzers, but I think it'll be a fun assignment.

My first article, which should be posted later today, is on the Bayonne Senior Orchestra (contain your excitement, please). I interviewed the bandleader (June) yesterday, and I had to share our little exchange:

Me: Hi, June. It's Maria. Is this a bad time?

June: Hold on a second. My hands are wet.

[Long wait.]

June: Maria, when you buy new underwear, do you wash it before you put it on?

Me: Um ... yeah ... Definitely.

June: Well, that's what I was just doing.

I am not making that up, I swear. Like my sister-in-law said, the oldies are just like little kids -- they just say what comes to mind. Great, I see the future now: "Hey, have you seen my laxatives? I'm feeling a little bloated right now." Oh, wait, actually, that sounds like me now.

No comments: