Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Maria Diarrhea's Moviewatch:

"There Will Be Blood": Finally! I put off watching it -- even though I wanted to see it -- because I thought that (a) it would be boring, and (b) it would be violent. Thankfully, the latter was not the case. Yes, there were a couple of "intense" scenes, but for the most part, the movie was dramatic but not gory. Unfortunately, I did find it a tad boring. Yes, Daniel Day Lewis gives one doozy of a performance -- and fully deserved his Oscar -- but it was painfully slow in many parts. And the music ... oh my gosh, it drove me crazy. The soundtrack is the absolute worst and, in some parts, was actually louder than the dialogue and made it difficult to hear what was being said. Annoying. I think that may be what soured me a little on the movie. Without the soundtrack, I might have liked it more. But it is what it is, and what it is, is ok. That last scene, though -- Wow!

"Iron Man": I'm a fan of comic-book movies, and this one did not disappoint. It was filled with top-rate action and effects, sharp dialogue, great acting and -- most importantly -- Robert Downey Jr.! He did for this movie what Johnny Depp did for "Pirates of the Caribbean" -- that is, make the movie more interesting just by his very presence in it. I can't wait to see the sequel, though the next time I hope to not have to sit next to a woman with a 2-year-old who cries "Mami, mami, mami, papi, papi, papi" the entire time. Why do people do that, especially at an 8 p.m. show? Shouldn't your child be sleeping? If you can't afford a babysitter, then guess what? You can't go to the movies. Simple as that.

Next up: I really want to see the "Indiana Jones" movie, though I'll wait a couple of weeks to avoid the massive crowds. Oh, and I'll probably be dragged to "Sex and the City." Not that I'd hate it, but it's just not my cup of tea. But what I'm really looking forward to: "Get Smart." Now that I may have to see on opening weekend...

3 comments:

~grey said...

I have never even heard of "There will be Blood". Sounds to intense for me... :D

Everyone in my house... has seen Iron Man. I am not sure why I am the only one that hasn't seen it. It looks like a fun show.

I hate it when people bring tiny toddlers to movies... A movie is way to long for one to sit through.

I just finished watching on DVD.... "Water" and "The Namesake". Both are Hindi (East Indian) Films... I loved them both! What fantastic stories!

I can't wait to see Indiana Jones too. I have always had a crush on Harrison. LOL

Maria Perez said...

You should see "Iron Man" -- it's PG-13, so it's not too violent or anything like that. If you like Robert Downey Jr., you'll really like the movie. It's a smart action flick.

I don't know what "Water" is, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

I read "The Namesake," so I'm hesitant to watch the movie. They're never as good as the book... :-)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love Steve Carell, so I will be way ahead of you in line on opening day or behind you or well, depends if it even opens in our town!!

xoxo