Saturday, April 19, 2008

You know how there are days when things are going great? You had a good night's sleep, you woke up without any back pain, you weighed yourself and were not disgusted by the number staring back at you? Those days are wonderful. So wonderful you just know the other shoe is gonna drop.

Well, the shoe dropped, and it made a whole hell of a lot of noise.

I went to my house this weekend, to say hi to my tenants and get this month's rent. My tenants are great -- they're responsible, they don't bug me all the time, and they're just genuinely nice people. I don't really have any problem with them at all. I like them a lot.

And then this morning, they dropped a bomb on me. There's mold in the house. And not just in one little corner -- it's like all over. It's in the closet of their little girl's bedroom, there's some in the bathroom, some seems to be spreading to the living room. And the walls in the bedroom are obviously water-damaged. They're going to have to be torn down and replaced, no doubt. I'm going to call a mold remediator today, and I should likely call a roofer, too, to see if there's a problem with the roof (which, by the way, is only three years old...). Needless to say, this is going to cost me a buttload. And I have a big butt.

So yeah, whenever you have those days where you think, "My, isn't the sun especially warm and bright today?" or "Mmm, these pancakes taste especially delicious today," just hope that other shoe doesn't drop. Because if you're like me, you'll find yourself being hit on the head with a steel-toed work boot.

Sigh.

3 comments:

~grey said...

yikes!
that's awful!
hope you find the root of the problem soon... and that it doesn't cost to much...

Anonymous said...

oops, that's going to cost a pretty penny or maybe it won't. What do I know? This is why I don't normally post on your blog! lol.

xoxo
E

Maria Perez said...

It's probably not as bad as I think. Wait, actually, given my luck, it's probably worse! LOL.

Oh well, what are you gonna do. Gotta just suck it up and take it. There goes a little chunk of my retirement fund... :-(