Monday, April 28, 2008

I have a new obsession: Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch."

I know, how interesting can a TV show about fishing be? Turns out, pretty darn interesting. I'm totally and completely obsessed. Thanks to a marathon viewing, I watched hours and hours of it this weekend.

I love how the captains have superstitions -- like biting the head off a herring before the first day of the season (gross!) -- and they take them very seriously. And I mean very. One captain considered turning around and heading back when he realized no one had eaten the ritual Cup-a-Soup before they lowered the first pot.

It's also interesting to see how the men interact with each other when it's just guys on a boat (or is it a ship?) in the open sea, with no women around for miles and nautical miles.

My favorite captain is Sig "I want my crab count and I want it NOW!" Hansen:



I have to admit that I do have a little bit of a crush on him, bad haircut and all. I'm sure I'd get used to the fish smell, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen a few episodes of this show (last year, I think) and I totally agree that it's captivating. I think you're the only person I know that appreciates the fine quality programming!

Maria Perez said...

I can't get enough. I have, like, 27 episodes set up in my DVR ... now I just have to find the time to watch them. I'm picture a late-night date with Mr. Hansen... :-)