Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Well, it is a new year, which means new resolutions. I don't know how long these will last, but here's a list of the things I'd like to improve on, along with their difficulty rating (one star being the easiest):

I resolve to:

1. Be more patient. Especially with stupid people. Darg, I hate stupid people. But I will be better this year. I will try not to use sarcasm as a way to handle stupid people. And I will try not to let their stupidity get to me or get me down. Instead, I will realize that everyone, no matter how stupid, has a reason for being. ****

2. Go back to church. Every year, I toy with the idea of going back to church, and every year I remember why I don't: I don't agree with much of what the Catholic religion believes in. For one, I believe women should be allowed into the priesthood. Also, I don't agree that priests should remain celibate and single. And I disagree with their non-acceptance of gays (though, to be fair, that's pretty much the same in any established religion). But then I thought, why do I have to go to a Catholic church? There are other, more liberal, Christian denominations. After some research, I decided to give a local Episcopal church a try. I went yesterday, and it was nice. Much of the mass was just like Catholic mass, so I didn't feel too out-of-place. And the rector was nice and introduced me to everyone at mass. Plus, the church is very active in the community, especially through a nonprofit foundation that helps the homeless and developmentally disabled in the area. This one should be easy to keep. *

3. Get a boyfriend. Hah, easier said than done, but this year, I will at least try. I will become active in community groups again, and will meet new people, and, bladder be damned, I will not have to "go to the bathroom" the next time a cute guy tries to talk with me! No more! *****

4. Get fit. Yes, it's the old standby, the one everyone mentions. Doesn't mean I can't use it, though, right? ***

Now, let's see how many of those are still in play in a month or so...

3 comments:

~grey said...

great resolutions....

I need to work on the patients one too. As well as the get fit...

Good Luck! Here's to a great 2007

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria. I for one am sure glad you found the church. You are a blessing and I'm so glad you are helping with the outreach programs. I also found the Episcopal Church after years of Catholicism though my introduction to it was about 36 years ago. I'd be happy to talk about that any time as it seems we have much the same concerns over our church of origin.

Maria Perez said...

Hi, Jane. Welcome to my blog! Hope you enjoy some of what I have to say :-)