Monday, October 17, 2005

I went to a karaoke bar Saturday with a couple of friends, and I had to relay this exchange I had with the person sitting next to me:

Brain Surgeon: “I’m Spanish.”
Me: “Oh, really? From where?”
Brain Surgeon: “Portugal.”

Sigh.

Ok, so let’s just get this straight. People from Portugal are Portuguese, not Spanish. Just like people from Germany are German, not Italian. Oh, and also, people from Mexico are Mexican, not Spanish. Same goes for all the other Spanish-speaking countries. Notice how I said “Spanish-speaking,” not “Spanish.” There is a distinction, folks. We do not eat black beans and rice, plantains, etc., in Spain. The first time I had Mexican food was on my 23rd birthday, at Chi Chi’s.

I’m not saying one nationality is better than the other. I’m just saying they’re not the same.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go drink a caipirinha and listen to mariachi music.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That guy sounds like he was missing a few brain cells. He of all people should know the proper name for his heritage. Ok, I will be honest with you, so please don't chew me out. I was raised thinking, if you spoke spanish, you were from a spanish country. that pretty much meant, all of South America. Naturally, as I got older, I learned the difference and changed my wording accordingly. But, I guess some don't change their wording, either out of ignorance or lack of caring.

LaurieC

Maria Perez said...

I know. It's just a pet peeve of mine. Hear it often enough and it'll drive you crazy. And you'd think the person who's from there would know, huh? Sigh ... :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't take it as a pet peeve. It is out of respect for others, people should learn the difference. I just thought of something else, I wonder if that guy was a second or third generation, maybe that is why he didn't know the difference?

LaurieC

Maria Perez said...

True. It just bugged me. Maybe I'm just getting more ornery in my old age. :-)

Anonymous said...

We have "earned" the right to be ornery and pass wind. : ) I guess, you're not that busy at work today? I/we should have emailed. : )

LaurieC

Maria Perez said...

I'm never too busy to take care of personal stuff. LOL. :-)

Anonymous said...

Yup, life is a balance. : )

LaurieC

thirthe said...

really, they're not the same.

kisses:-))

Maria Perez said...

Wow. Estoy impressionada! :-)

thirthe said...

I'm japanese:-)))