Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I took my niece and nephew to the movies this weekend to see “Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.”

There was a guy sitting in front of us with two kids -- one was a girl about 5 or 6 years old, the other a boy about 9 or 10. The kids talked throughout the entire movie. Correction: They didn’t talk; they screamed. “Why did he do that?!?” “What does that mean?!?” “That’s funny, isn’t it? Isn’t it?!? It’s funny!!”

Now, I know kids will be kids, but the “father” (and I put that in quotes because the girl kept calling him “Tony” instead of “daddy,” so who knows?) was just as bad. His responses were equally as loud, and he did nothing to quiet them down.

And when they left (early, before the movie ended, thank goodness) they left their popcorn bags, sodas, candy by their seats.

What happened to teaching kids proper etiquette? My niece and nephew (she’s 7, he’s 3 -- three!) didn’t talk, cry, complain, etc. They sat there and watched it, silently. The few times my niece wanted to say something to me, she whispered it in my ear.

And had I said something to the guy, I would have been given dirty looks or, worse, screamed at or accosted. Because that’s what people do these days should someone question their behavior.

I’m sick and tired of it. I try to be courteous, but even I find myself getting testy after having been treated like crap time after time. I mean, if everyone else does it, why can’t I?

And let’s be real; everyone says they treat others nicely, but there obviously have to be people who are doing it, because we’ve all experienced it.

I say all the well-raised people should band together and start a movement -- bring shame to those who want to ruin our movie-going (or shopping, eating, etc.) experience. Any ideas?

(The movie was really good, by the way.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that happened at the movies - hey, at least he didn't phone a friend too!

Remember one of our movie adventures? (blair witch project)

E

thirthe said...

your niece and your nephew
are delicious...I know

Maria Perez said...

Aw geez ... that was such a hilarious night! We were so ready to be scared. Sadly, it was not to be. LOL. :-)