Friday, August 26, 2005

The Aristocrats." Oh my.

For those of you unfamiliar with "The Aristocrats" -- not to be confused with "The Aristocats," a fine, family-friendly film -- it's a documentary created by comedians Paul Provenza and Penn Jillette (of Penn & Teller) in which more than 100 comedians explore a joke that, until now, was told only to other comedians.

The basic premise of the joke is this: A guy walks into an agent's office and says, "Have I got a family act for you." Then the whole middle of the joke is improvised by the comedian, in which he/she tries to come up with a "family act" that will be more shocking and disgusting than any of the other comedians' -- everything from people swimming in each other's feces and vomit, to incest and rape -- you know, all the fun things in life. Then the punchline of the joke is: The agent asks, "What's the name of this act?" And the guy says, "The Aristocrats!"

Get it? Get it? Yeah, neither did I. As jokes go, it's pretty lame. I read about it and thought, how funny can this movie be?

Well, it was easily the most vulgar, disgusting, obscene movie I've ever seen. It was also one of the funniest. Maybe it's just me, but hearing Bob Saget riff on the pleasures of screwing someone's eye socket ... that's comedy, people. I don't know if that indicates there's something seriously wrong with me, but I could not stop laughing. Indeed, I'm going to have to watch the movie a second time to get the parts I missed because I was laughing too much.

Does that scare me a little? Yes. Will I watch it again anyway? Yes. Will I let me 7-year-old niece watch it? Hell to the no!

No comments: