Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My brother has a dog, a black lab named Luna, who is positively insane. She's nuts, she is. But that's neither here nor there.

Last week, my brother's wife found a note at their door from the city health inspector, who had stopped by while they weren't home. The note asked them to call the health office the next day.

Turns out, a few weeks ago, my sister-in-law had gone to the dentist and had left Luna in the backyard -- the fenced-in backyard. While my sister was at the dentist, it started raining. Apparently, one of her neighbors called City Hall to complain that the dog had been left out in the rain.

The dog, people. The dog. Someone actually complained because the dog was left out in the rain.

Look, I love dogs just as much as the next person. I do. I'm scared of most of them, but I love them nonetheless. And I think Luna is just peachy-keen. I'm mush around her. But she's a dog. Where was the neighbor when homeless people were out in the rain? Did she call anyone to complain about that? What about all the kids that go hungry? Or live in foster homes for their entire childhood because they can't get adopted? How about them? Is "my neighbor left their dog out in the rain" really the cause you're going to go with? Really?

Everyone should just mind their own damn business. Luna is well fed, well taken care of, has a warm home to sleep in, and is loved by her family. She's much better off than millions of people, in this country alone. So let's say it's ok to leave a dog out in the rain for a couple of hours, shall we?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

so did anything else come of this.?? they weren't fined or anything were they....

some people, just have nothing else better to do with their time... then to make problems for others.

Maria Perez said...

I don't think so ... I think they just got a warning.

Stuff like this drives me nuts!

Anonymous said...

glad to hear it was a just a warning.

i had a friend that wanted a dog too... she went to the pound to adopt one. They wouldn't give her one... as she had said on the application that YES she would be keeping it outdoors most days.
She also explained that she would build it a dog run with a very nice almost plush dog house. very sheltered... but still she was declined. They would rather put the dog down, then to give it a perfectly good home, just because it is outside....

ARGH!
Steps off the soap box now.....

Maria Perez said...

Actually, I had the same thing happen to me. I had adopted a dog from a kennel. A few years later, I went back there with a friend who wanted to adopt one, and she put me down as a reference. They wouldn't give her the dog because I had said the dog stays outside. I don't understand their rationale, but oh well ...