Monday, February 25, 2008

Woo hoo! Go Javier Bardem! Way to represent us Spaniards!

I agreed with most of the winners, especially Bardem -- but that's mostly because he's one of the only nominated performances I actually saw... I always say I'm going to watch all the nominees, but never quite make it. But I did get to knock one off my list this weekend: "Michael Clayton" (see review below). I thought Tilda Swinson was very good, but enough to win the Oscar? I probably would have gone with Cate Blanchett, not because I saw the movie but just based on her past performances. Also, Tilda seems a little, well, strange, doesn't she? She has an alien look to her. No, that shouldn't reflect on her acting abilities. I'm just sayin'. And this is my blog, so I'm entitled to it. So there.

Anyway, here's the latest Maria Diarrhea Moviewatch:

"Michael Clayton": Great acting, great script, great directing, so-so movie. Maybe I expected a little more action or -- crazy idea for a movie about lawyers -- some courtroom drama. I hate to say this, because I love George Clooney, but this was boring. For a psychological "thriller," it was missing all the thrills. But did I mention George Clooney was in it?

"Little Children": You know how there are movies you want to watch but don't actually want to sit and watch them? This was one of those movies. It just looked so Boring with a capital B. It turned out to be the exact opposite. In fact, two days after watching it, I find myself still thinking about it, wondering what happened to those characters. To me, that's the mark of a great movie -- one that makes you want to know more, to follow the lives of the characters as if they were real. Kate Winslet is amazing, as usual. She really is one of the most talented actresses around. And Patrick Wilson -- what a revelation! I'd never seen him before, but now I want -- need -- to see everything he's in. It didn't hurt that you see him naked ... several times. What a nice ass. Ok, now I sound like a perv. But seriously, it's a gem of a movie. Rent it. Do it, do it.

"Notes on a Scandal": Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench. Even if the plot weren't there (which it is) and the acting wasn't there (which it is), it would be worth it to see these two actresses go toe to toe. It's like a cage match of great acting! They are both superb, and the storyline is quite interesting. And bonus points for Cate for making what could have been an unappealing role seem real. Actually, the same goes for Judi Dench. (Sorry, she's a dame -- I can't refer to her by just her first name. I think it's illegal or something.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JA JA - Do you know that I actually clapped when Javier finished his speech! Nicely done.

Funny thing is, I think he spoke in Spanish because he heard my comment. Right before he went up, I said to my husband, "Jeez, wouldn't it be nice if some of these winners spoke in their native language"... and sure enough - Javier! .. :)

Maria Perez said...

Someone had the nerve to say to me that they were upset the main categories were all won by g**-damn foreigners. I was like, "Hi, you do know who you're talking to, right?"

heather said...

I felt the exact same way about "Little Children." I let it sit around for 3 weeks before finally watching it. After I did, I bought & read the book (which you're welcome to borrow) and added a bunch of Patrick Wilson flicks to my Netflix queue. Skip "Running w/Scissors" - he has 1 line in it. "Hard Candy" isn't good but it's with that girl from "Juno." That's my opinion. :)

Maria Perez said...

He was also in "Phantom of the Opera," I think. Seriously, he needs to be married to me so I can advise him on which movies to make, because so far? Eh.