Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Do you ever feel like you just want to make a major change in your life, but you're (a) scared to do anything, or (b) not even sure what it is you want to do?

I feel that way right now. I want to change several aspects of my life, but I'm not entirely sure to what. I'd like a new job -- something that doesn't involve constant deadlines or managing staff -- but I'm scared to start something new, or worried that I'm not going to make as much as I do now. Actually, I would like an entirely new career. I was thinking about teaching, but I'd have to go back to school to get certified, it would involve an entirely new skillset, yada yada yada. There's always some excuse.

I've been thinking about moving away, too. But there's a bunch of stuff holding me back there, too.

I'm not someone who likes change, so it's hard to embrace it, even if it would be a positive step forward. But I think I'm at the point where I need big change to happen. I need a new career. I need new surroundings. I need a new life, pretty much. Now the question is, how do I go about getting one, and what should go first?

I know I can't be the only one who's ever experienced this, so if you are -- or were -- in the same boat, let me know what you did ... or didn't do. I'm open to all ideas, even the stupid ones. ;-)

7 comments:

~grey said...

I have always wanted to live somewhere else... but never have. I have lived here my entire life. A change would be nice.

Not sure about the career change. I am a stay at home mom... can't really change that. :)

Maybe what you are feeling is just in need of a break. The trip to London might be the change you need.

Anonymous said...

I agree with grey on the fact that the trip to London may just be what you need to "get away from it all".

I've always considered moving back to Spain. It's still a goal of mine, but now with my son just starting high school - it just seems further and further away. I always said I should've just stayed there... but you know my whole life story so I won't fill up your blog with stuff about me, since this is really supposed to be all about YOU. But, again about me... LOL...

I thought about going to nursing school but then realized I'm not very good around people when they vomit - so that was out.

And here I am stuck in my self made rut! HELP ME!!!

Now, back to you...

E

Maria Perez said...

Grey, I think you're right. I'll see how I feel after I get back from London before I make any rash decisions.

E, you need help. LOL. You'd make a great nurse -- except for the whole fainting-at-the-sight-of-blood thing.. :-)

Now I'm thinking I might go to culinary school. I love cooking, and would love to specialize in light, healthy cooking. Well, that's what I feel like today. Tomorrow I'll want to be an astronaut...

Anonymous said...

I love your latest idea! Let's open a restaurant!! YAY!

E

Maria Perez said...

Done! Now I just have to learn how to cook ... Rachael Ray's recipes will only get me so far ... LOL.

Anonymous said...

1. You wrote: "I'm...worried that I'm not going to make as much as I do now." Is a fulfilling new career one that pays little? If yes, then okay. If not, then why would you take a job that pays less?

2. You're writing your life story as you live it. How do you want it to go? I think constraints that we perceive are constraints that we choose. Maybe it's time to reevaluate the constraints.

3. I don't believe change happens in any best order. It'll probably happen organically, starting from your biggest pain point.

4. SF is nice... :-) - skim

Maria Perez said...

SF *is* nice. I love it there. If I were to move in the U.S., I'd probably pick Florida. Or Vegas. Then again, I'd probably wind up homeless in Vegas ... unless I win the big jackpot. Hmmm, Vegas. :-)