Wednesday, July 09, 2008

I just came back from the shooting range. It was frakkin' awesome.

I used a .22 and a Glock semiautomatic. The first shot was waaaay high, barely making it on the paper, but every single other shot hit the target. Every. Single. One. Who knew I was such a master marksman?

I felt silly asking for the instructor to take my picture, but I did get to keep the targets. Here's a full-body shot:



And a closeup:



Look at that. It's beeootiful. Man, I killed it. (Ok, maybe poor choice of words...)

The first few shots with each gun were a little traumatic. The smell of the gunpowder was rancid. The noise, though, wasn't that bad. I did jump at the first few ones (which isn't great when you're holding a gun), but you do get used to it.

The recoil was a little tougher to get used to, but I think I adapted quite well, as evidenced by the fact that I hit every single shot in the target. (I'm sorry, but I have to keep repeating that because it was so unexpected ... and awesome. And yes, I just called myself awesome.)

Now, you know I'm not a gun person. I'd never even been in the same room as one. But I have to admit, I got quite a rush. I may even do it again. Oh, who am I kidding? Of course, I'll do it again. Did I mention I was awesome?

5 comments:

Neetsbeat said...

Sounds like fun! I would totally love to try it but I'm afraid my hand-eye coordination may not be as good. I could probably shoot all AROUND the target.

Maria Perez said...

You should try it! I was sure I was going to shoot everything but the target, but if you get a good instructor, he'll show you exactly what to do. Do it, do it. :-)

~grey said...

that is so cool!!!

excellent shooting !!!

Maria Perez said...

Thanks! I'm sure it will mean nothing if I'm ever in the situation where I have to defend myself, but at least I know I can take down a paper man. :-)

Unknown said...

I've gone to a shooting range before and shot a 9mm and a .22. I guess all those years of playing Duck Hunt on my brother's Nintendo worked because I was pretty good. But is that really a skill to be proud of? "I can sure shoot straight enough to kill you!" What was the most strange was how easy it is. And I hate guns. Weird.