Thursday, November 16, 2006

Folks, my heart has been broken. I just found out I can no longer shop at Target.

[Cue mad sobbing]

Let me explain.

I'm a union girl. I'm not actually in a union myself, but I'm a supporter of unions and laborers. Maybe it's because my dad was a union man. Or maybe just because unions support the regular working man, rather than big business. Either way, I have and always will be a union gal.

So I don't shop at Wal-Mart. Ever. No matter how much money I'd save. It's just not worth it to me to support a company that's anti-union. I don't eat at McDonald's anymore either -- though, to be honest, that has more to do with "Super Size Me" than the fact they're anti-labor. But still. They're anti-labor, and I don't eat there.

Issues are important to me. If a store is anti-labor, I won't shop there. It's my way of saying, "What you're doing is not ok." Yes, I'm only one person, and I'm sure my $17 won't mean a whole lot to them, but it means a lot to me.

So imagine my horror when I find out that Target has a policy that allows their pharmacists to refuse to fill out prescriptions for birth control for religious reasons.

It was a sad day, my friends. Sadder than the day I found out Brad really was involved with Angelina and it wasn't just a ruse so he could approach me without having all the world's media know about it.

Um, yeah, so anyway ... now I can no longer shop at Target, at least not until they amend their policy.

So when you send my Christmas gift, make sure the gift card's for another store.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok... I admire your dedication and support of this.

BUT.... how did you find out that they had this policy? like did you over hear it while standing in line... had a friend refused for meds. Or did you read this in a news paper... or what.?
how long has this policy been in effect...?

This is what I think about.
if they just changed their policy yesterday or last week... then I would probably react the same way. But chances are this policy has been in effect for some time... right. So do you return the things you bought last week. Do you throw out the items you bought last month.
I'm just sayin.... you know.

We don't have Target stores here... so it doesn't effect me. I also don't shop Walmart, just cuz. It is usually to busy and crowded.

I applaud you for standing up for your beliefs...
I just don't think I could. To lazy maybe.... or I just don't care enough or think my $17 would be missed enough.

hmmmm.... makes you think.
maybe it does matter.

ok rambling thoughts now. LOL
good post

Maria Perez said...

I receive updates from Planned Parenthood, and this was one of the updates. They were passing around a petition to send to Target (along with Walgreen's and Winn-Dixie, which I never shop at anyway). I won't return what I bought previously, but I won't shop there again until the policy is changed. I know it probably doesn't make a difference to them ... well, maybe it does ... I must be their most loyal customer. At least my bank account would say so! LOL. :-)

Anonymous said...

You know what's really weird? T and I, on this very day of your post, were resigned to going back to Target since Costco didn't work out. Yes, Target is also known for unfair labor practices like Wal-Mart but they do a helluva better job of marketing and community support than Wal-Mart. And also, I just posted about Target/Costco today.

Anonymous said...

What did you think of Grey's last night...???

Hope you watched it....

Happy Thanksgiving!

LarryLilly said...

I support you on your stance. I am trying to get stuff not made in China, hell, even Bangladesh is better that China. But one day, when North Korea falls, they will underbid chinease workers, then watch the fur fly LOL.

Living in both small towns, and larger cities, its sad when someone says, Lets go look at the New WalMart. I mean, arent they all the same? Same chinease made crap, prices lowered by our way or the highway.

Towns lose character when they let the big box stores come in. The big box stores get tax incentives, municipal services at reduced costs, yet try openning up a local hardware store, you wont get jack.

Maria Perez said...

I agree. I always try to go to local stores when possible. I may pay a little more now, but we'll all save a lot more in the long run...