Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Things are looking up. Ok, maybe it's more like sideways, but it's better than down, right?

So I joined New Jersey Young Professionals. I know, I know -- I'm not young. But I am professional (I think), and they didn't have a New Jersey Semi-Young, Sort-of-Old Professionals group, so...

Anyhoo, I posted a note on the message board, saying I was back in NJ after a few years away, and was interested in making new connections. The next day, I had about 25 e-mails from other members, welcoming me to the group and encouraging me to go to the events.

So I'm going to my first event next week -- a mixer in Hoboken. I'm going alone, so it should be interesting. I'm sure I'll spend about five minutes avoiding all eye contact, because that's what I do, and then walk out. Hey, but at least I'm going.

This year, it's all about making myself do things I'm not fully comfortable doing. Up next: milking a cow. Just kidding!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Answer some of the emails and find out who is going to the mixer you're going to. Maybe you can hook up there...force yourself to stay there and mingle, you never know who you will meet...maybe even make some new friends. : ) In your other post, you said you met up with some old pals and they promised to get you out of the house...call them up...see what they are up to. Ok, it's been a few days...what did you decide to do? Go back for Masters? Sign up for a lesson? Local theater? Don't make me come and slap you! We all get into ruts though--so don't feel bad, just do something to pull yourself out of it. ; )Good luck with your hair! Post a pic after you have it done!

LaurieC

Maria Perez said...

To quote "When Harry Met Sally": You're right, you're right, I know you're right.

It's been a bit hard, though. I mean, I've lived alone for 10 years, and now not only am I back to living with my mom (who I adore, but she is, after all, my mom), but I also had to move away from my circle of friends just when I was beginning to really make them.

Sorry -- I'm having a little pity party as of late. I should be over it soon.

I've been e-mailing some of the folks from NJYP. I'm going to one of the mixers next week, and I'm meeting a couple of the people beforehand. They're both from Spain, as it turns out! Talk about small world...

So I am trying. It's just hard to get motivated when everything seems at a standstill. I think I'll get my footing once I sell my house in Long Island and actually get my own place here in NJ. Once that's done, I'll really be back to normal, I think.

Ugh, how many people in this world would be happy to have my problems, right? I know I'm lucky... :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria:

Welcome back! Hey, I know what'll cheer you up, go to the Club...ha ha ha ha, just kidding - do not go there, OMG anywhere but there!

Maria Perez said...

I'm not that desperate ... yet. :-)