Monday, April 23, 2007

I went to a bridal shower yesterday. Ugh. Is there anything worse than a bridal shower? First of all, it puts such pressure on us happy, er, I mean unmarried, gals. Second, it's totally cheesy. And third, it's really just one big gift-giving extravaganza, isn't it?

And you know, I've gone to so many of these over the years -- bridal showers, weddings, baby showers. I've spent so much money on these things, and I'll never get any of that back.

So I've decided that when I turn 40 -- which, is a looong, looong way away, of course (bite that tongue) -- I'm going to have a huge birthday party, and I'm going to register for gifts. And if anyone thinks that's tacky, just consider it my non-wedding wedding, ok? I mean, why should we single gals always be the ones to lose out? Why can't I furnish my home with gifts from others? I would totally love this KitchenAid mixer. Why should I have to spend $50,000 on a wedding to get it?

So keep an eye out for that invitation. And if you're not sure what to give me, remember: cash goes with everything.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that an episode from "Sex in the City"?

Maria Perez said...

I don't know, is it? I have to admit, I've only seen about two "Sex" episodes ... I'm too cheap to pay for HBO! :-)

~grey said...

oooohhhh good idea!

I just hate showers of any kind!

So much expectation... so much pressure to get the right gift. And you know there is always someone there... comparing their gift to yours...

I think a 40th shower is appropriate! Count me in!

Unknown said...

Yes, very Carrie Bradshaw of you. Bravo!