Monday, March 12, 2007

I rented two movies this weekend: "The Departed" and "Stranger than Fiction." I highly recommend both movies.

"The Departed," the movie that finally got Scorcese his first Oscar, is an über-violent remake of the Hong Kong thriller "Internal Affairs." The film takes place in Boston, where Frank Costello, an Irish mob boss, implants Colin Sullivan as a mole inside the Massachusetts State Police. At the same time, Officer Billy Costigan has infiltrated Costello's crew. When the two catch wind of the other's involvement, they attempt to discover each other's identities.

Did I mention it was violent? I'm a bit squeamish, so some parts were hard for me to look at -- and, in fact, I did have to look away during some scenes -- but it was totally worth it. The script and acting are top-notch. And I'm glad Scorcese was rewarded for this movie -- he totally deserved it. If you can stomach the violence, do watch it.

"Stranger Than Fiction" is strange indeed. It's about Harold Crick, an IRS agent whose life is transformed when he hears a mysterious voice narrating his life. With the help of a literature professor, Harold discovers he's the main character of a novel-in-progress and that the voice belongs to an eccentric author famous for killing her main characters in creative ways.

And now you're probably thinking, "Huh?" Yeah, that’s about right. It's definitely a quirky movie, but it's thoroughly entertaining, and Will Ferrell really sells it. He's great in his first dramatic role. I totally found him believable. I also thought Maggie Gyllenhall, who plays his love interest, was fantastic. I never really saw her in anything before, and honestly never though that much of her, but she did a great job with this role. Oh, and Emma Thompson is fabulous, as always. If you can let go and just accept the nutty premise, you're sure to enjoy the movie.

I plan on seeing "The 300" this weekend, which looks like it can either be a really, really good movie or a really, really awful movie. I'm sure it's the latter, but as long as it's a good awful movie, I'll be happy.

8 comments:

~grey said...

I don't watch scary or violent movies... or overly dramatic. LOL

I do want to see 'Stranger then fiction', That looks cute and quirky.

My son saw 'The Departed' and loved it. He is also going to see '300' tomorrow night. I heard it is very violent... but good. I hope you enjoy it... kinda , sorta...

Maria Perez said...

You should totally watch Stranger Than Fiction. I super, super, super recommend it. My sister, on the other hand, hated it. So I think it's either a movie you love or hate. I can't wait to see The 300. I'm sure I'll be sorry, seeing as how it's probably ultra-violent, but I can't help it! :-)

~grey said...

My son and My sister went to see 300 yesterday. Both said it was worth it!!! They both loved it!!

Maria Perez said...

Oooh, I can't wait!!!

LarryLilly said...

My all time fav suspense movie that I use to measure others by is "The Usual Suspects".

Ever notice that as you watch movies, its easy to start to figure out stuff even if your obtuse about the action, when you look down at your watch, see that the movie ends in 15 minutes, so there cant be anymore new characters, the bad guy(s) are now known, and well, you have a time frame to figure out the ending. OK, some like the usual suspects string you up to the last minute, but movies today are like old AM radio with 3 minute songs, never 3:30, or 2:15, but something between 2:45 and 3:15. So, leave your watch at home, and wiat until the credits before you try to guess the plot twists.

pass the popcorn please!

Maria Perez said...

I loooooove "The Usual Suspects." They don't make many like that anymore...

I also have a very bad habit of checking my watch to see how much time is left, because that usually gives me an idea of where the movie's going. I have to stop doing that ...

~grey said...

We rented 'Stranger then Fiction' this past weekend...

You're right! It was quirky and fun. I am not a big fan of Will Ferrell... but really enjoyed him in this one. Loved his 'girlfriend' she was plain...yet beautiful. Loved it!!

I never look at the time...when watching a movie... I Just sit and enjoy it.

Thanks for the recommending it!

Maria Perez said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :-)