Monday, August 28, 2006

fatorexic* (fat-uh-rek-sik)
adjective
a person suffering from a psychological disorder characterized by distorted self-image, in which the person believes she/he is thinner than she/he actually is.

We've all seen them: the women (and sometimes men) who dress completely inappropriately for their body type. You know, like the rather large woman who walks down your block in a cut-off T-shirt and short-shorts, or the portly man walking on the beach wearing a Speedo.

I don't know about you, but when I see someone in an outfit that's just completely, well, wrong, I ask myself, "What on Earth are they thinking?"

Is it that they just don't care what they look like -- good taste be damned, they're going to wear that short slip dress because it's just so cute? Or is it they think they're thinner than they really are?

Every once in a while, I'll look in the mirror and think, "I look good in this outfit." Then someone (usually a family member, of course) will tell me the outfit makes me look fat, or that the skirt is too short and makes my legs look too "meaty." Yet I think I look good in it.

I wonder if fatorexics go through the same thing. Do they look in the mirror and think, "Damn, this bra-less halter top really makes my size 44DD breasts look fabulous"? Or have they just resigned themselves to the fact that that's what they look like and that's what they're gonna wear, and if someone doesn't like it, too bad?

*Yes, I just made this up.

5 comments:

~grey said...

hahahahahaha
Love the new word!

I just saw a group of teen girls... at the mall. My good Lord!!! a couple of them were wearing jeans at least 3 sizes to small.... and all their "dough" was just spilling out over t he edges of those jeans.

My son says that is called... Muffin top.

But I agree.... what are some people thinking...!!!!

Anonymous said...

"Muffin top"... that's a perfect description. Hilarious! Nothing more attractive than some belly flab spilling over a pair of tight jeans.

~grey said...

oh and when a kid (teen) has their but crack showing.... mainly a girl, when she bends over...
that is called the coin slot.

I think I might have to hang around my son more... LOL

Maria Perez said...

Oh, that is hysterical. Muffin top and coin slot. Can you find out more? I'd love to put up a post with a little glossary of all those terms. It'd be a public service to all those old fogies like you and me.

Maria :-)

Anonymous said...

Coin slot? Must be when the ladies are sans undies... Nowadays the low-rise jeans allow women to show off thongs and g-strings. Now, that's a very sexy look!